Forum > General Tech

ignition switch????

(1/2) > >>

Redfishtony:
OK, me and Ryan cranked the ol girl up Friday night only to discover when we let off the key it shut off. Not sure if something is wired wrong or a bad switch. Its a brand new switch so I'm puzzled. Any ideas? The truck cranks fine but when the keys is in the run position it shuts off.

JustaFordGuy:
Sounds like the wire from the switch to the ign is bad. The factory wire is a resistor wire and is bad about burning up. Just trace it forward until you find the break. You may want to check power in run position at the switch just to make sure you didn't get a bad one. If it runs in the start position you know the wire under the hood after the wire from the starter solenoid connects is good.

Redfishtony:
Thanks Gary, I think I might have two wires hooked up wrong. I have tried to follow the diagram, but WTH you gotta be a ???? to follow it. Hopefully I'll get it figured out this week. Another thing I'm gonna have to pull the starter because I think I toasted it also. It won't engage. Acting like a low battery, but the battery is good. Gotta love it. TW

lonesouth:
get a high torque mini starter if you are going to replace it.

I picked one of these up, but haven't installed it yet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Ford-Mini-PMGR-Racing-Starter-302-351-Higher-Torque-/130682177932?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e6d43c98c&vxp=mtr

JustaFordGuy:
X2 on the mini Hi-torque. Blair and I both have this same one from dbelectrical and they work great. They take much less battery power and turn faster.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version