Total Topics: 389
Most Online Today: 1
Most Online Ever: 24
(June 12, 2013, 04:55:11 PM)
Users Online
Members: 0
Guests: 5
Total: 5

Author Topic: My first Bronco, repair list  (Read 4833 times)

oakback

Re: My first Bronco, repair list
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 10:08:45 AM »
Unless one spinning was a rear and both front where on solid ground and not spinning at all.
That's exactly what happened. I know the auto hubs worked before, I've seen both front tires spin out in sand. I think what happened was I drove into this particular watery hole, and the hubs weren't sealed properly (my fault), which caused them to not work. Everything inside the hubs looked in fine condition upon removal (just wet). I'm sure I could reinstall them and seal properly, but I don't like the idea of not knowing when they're working, and when they've decided not to work (when you need them most).

When I got out of the hole, I parked it on the dry sandy road, made sure 4x4 was engaged, and floored it. I hung my head out my window, passenger did the same at his, neither of us saw the front tires spin at all.

I wouldn't weld it, just drill and use grade 8 bolts.
In the installation videos I've seen, the kits come with a backing plate for each bolt. Some use carriage bolts with the square portion that locks into the plate. Should I bother with plates, or just get some thick washers? Any recommendations on where to purchase the hardware (in Tally)?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 10:11:41 AM by oakback »

oakback

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 04:28:21 PM »
I've been reading all day about lockers and diffs and such. I was looking into getting a drop-in locker, since I don't trust the factory limited slip (even rebuilt) to have the strength to turn a wheel wedged in a rut, when the opposing wheel is off the ground.

Then I read that I'd have to use an open diff carrier, there are no drop-in options for the limited slip carrier. With that amount of money and effort involved (paying someone to set the gear backlash, parts, etc.), a winch has become the cheaper option. I'll probably rebuild the factory LSD clutch pack at a later date, but it looks like a winch is my next purchase after getting the hitch installed. I'll be using the hitch winch mount, rather than getting a different bumper.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 09:35:03 AM by oakback »

lonesouth

• Bronco Guru
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 08:13:47 AM »
take a look at the badland winches at harbor freight.  From what I've read, they are pretty good bang for the buck.  And don't be afraid of getting one that is too big.  Better to have too much than not enough.  I've got a 12k milemarker on mine.
1977 Bronco U15 ,351w,C4,PS,PB,1"BL,32s

oakback

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 08:57:11 AM »
Yep, I'll definitely be getting a badland winch. First time I got stuck, a guy pulled me out with a badland winch. I was sold. Only legitimate complaint I've heard from people that actually own them is that they're slow, but it's a lot faster than using a jack and shovels and calling rednecks with trucks to come help you out!

FloridaBronco

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 12:03:34 PM »
so on the auto hubs. IF you are not engaged in 4x4 before getting stuck I know they likely wont work and usually end up stripped. The truck needs to be rolling for the splines to engage. if the wheel isn't turning and you try to shift into 4x4 the spring pressure will push the splines together BUT the axle is turning fast enough and the wheel not at all to grind them down, but never fully engage. I have done this before on a 96 truck. the trick is stop before needing it, shift in, with window open slowly idle ahead until your hear two clicks, one each side. then your locked. BTW this is same method for 04 and up with IWH. So Raptors guys, you need to insure each hub clicks in before applying that 400hp. The difference on the Integrated wheel hub is that is run by vacuum. But Ford was smart and they default to locked. meaning with no engine vacuum you are locked, So they lock ever time you park the truck. and unlock when started, until switched in. this has two benefits. One is they are constantly being shifted so they stay nice and lubed and loose to be ready anytime needed. two is if you tear off a vacuum line you still have 4x4. BTW Warn makes the IWH for Ford.

manual is still best to me though.

JustaFordGuy

• Gary Cook
  • Administrator
  • Bronco Guru
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 12:20:56 PM »
Raptors don't get stuck, even in two wheel drive. ;D
77 Bronco, 302, 4bbl, Hei, C4, PS, PB, BCB-A/C, 35" MTs, D44/Lock-Right Chromo axles, 9"/Grizzly locker, 2.5" sl, 1" bl, Bilstein shocks, 1 ton steering, JB-fab twin stick, D20,

2005 F250 CCSB Lariat FX4
2022 Jeep Rubicon 4Xe

FloridaBronco

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 02:04:04 PM »
then your not driving it right :D

oakback

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2013, 02:38:32 PM »
I always switch to 4x4 right after turning off pavement. I have never heard a click though, I think my bronco just makes too many random noises for me to hear it. Nothing was broken or out of sorts in the hub though, the auto hubs and springs all looked fine when I removed them.

oakback

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2013, 11:23:02 AM »
Installed the hitch receiver and winch this weekend. I lost the hook on a short trip in the woods (if you find it on 308, you're welcome). Bought a replacement and shackle at Tractor Supply.

JustaFordGuy

• Gary Cook
  • Administrator
  • Bronco Guru
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2013, 09:11:17 AM »
That will really come in handy. It would be cool to also have a receiver hitch on the front so you can use it on either end.
77 Bronco, 302, 4bbl, Hei, C4, PS, PB, BCB-A/C, 35" MTs, D44/Lock-Right Chromo axles, 9"/Grizzly locker, 2.5" sl, 1" bl, Bilstein shocks, 1 ton steering, JB-fab twin stick, D20,

2022 Jeep Rubicon 4Xe

oakback

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2013, 09:28:12 AM »
That will really come in handy. It would be cool to also have a receiver hitch on the front so you can use it on either end.
I'd love to do that eventually, and the wiring would be much easier to route! I think I'd have to get a shop to custom cut/fit one on for me, there aren't front mount ones available commercially.

I have no need for a big, heavy bumper with a winch mount (or hitch receiver built in). It's not like I'm rock crawling, or even driving over much brush for that matter.

lonesouth

• Bronco Guru
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2013, 11:48:07 AM »
how did you run the wires?  where'd you get the connectors?
1977 Bronco U15 ,351w,C4,PS,PB,1"BL,32s

oakback

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2013, 12:41:48 PM »
I ran the wires in the frame, similar routing as the fuel lines, lots of zip ties. I got the connectors at Grainger, the brand is Anderson. Each connector comes with 2 spade-like terminals. One side of the terminal has a notch, the other is curved. You solder on the terminals, then they click into the connector (the notch catches a flat spring). The connectors go together and come apart easily (the curved sides contact each other).

JustaFordGuy

• Gary Cook
  • Administrator
  • Bronco Guru
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2013, 01:36:28 PM »
I know someone makes a front receiver hitch that just mounts behind a stock bumper. I think it's Reese. I was going to get one for my Superduty but I just got a brushguard/winch mount instead.

2022 Jeep Rubicon 4Xe

oakback

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2013, 02:11:14 PM »
You're right, I found one made by Curt. link

edit: n/m, I think that's for a Bronco II
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 02:51:22 PM by oakback »

Recent Posts

Our 23 Bronco is finally here!!! by JustaFordGuy
January 20, 2023, 03:00:09 PM

Carburetors by broncobob