Total Topics: 389
Most Online Today: 4
Most Online Ever: 24
(June 12, 2013, 04:55:11 PM)
Users Online
Members: 0
Guests: 9
Total: 9

Author Topic: My first Bronco, repair list  (Read 4835 times)

oakback

My first Bronco, repair list
« on: February 12, 2013, 09:35:31 AM »
Gotta keep a list somewhere, or I'll forget what all I did.

I bought my '88 Custom almost 2 weeks ago, and I'm already enjoying the heck out of it.

Improvements so far (small stuff, but every bit helps):

mounted rear view mirror
installed new side-view mirrors
replaced window handle
bolted top down, with new U-nuts and 5/16" bolts
replaced door latch bushings (much less rattling!)
replaced rear window motor torque pins, huzzah for a working rear window and use of my tailgate!
blower noise fixed itself after a good talking-to
replaced headlight bulb, which promptly blew out...water getting in headlight housing
bolted starter in, after it was extremely loose and left me stranded with a grinding sound (luckily an easy fix!)...I'll come back with some loctite soon

To-do list:
drill holes in headlight housing for water drainage
replace brake booster (I can hear rushing air when on the brakes)
brake job...they work okay, but were sticking when I first got it, and pulls a bit to the right when on the brakes
flush heater core and rad (peace of mind thing)
check TPS (peace of mind)
remove the flimsy steps that are bolted to a weak/rusted spot
replace oil pressure sending unit
seafoam treatment (peace of mind)
Find power steering leak, and repair
wipers randomly stop, gotta figure that out (they seem to have fixed themselves)
tranny flush...it's shifting funny, hopefully that will help(it just needed more fluid)
ignition upgrade
repair broken vacuum lines
extend vent lines
check tranny vacuum modulator

With regards to the power steering, do they usually leak from a particular spot? Should I go ahead and replace the pump, or could I just need the lines?

2/13-replaced headlight pigtail, wire was frayed and headlight went out; also replaced fuel pump relay, drilled holes in headlights
2/16-repaired tailgate latch, replaced the broken TG handle, added 2 nicer cables (got rid of the 1 rusty/frayed one)
2/17-replaced PS pump with Saginaw pump, made a huge mess (need to rebuild/replace the junkyard pump)
2/18-replaced junkyard pump with reman unit, and new belt
did seafoam treatment, through the brake booster vacuum line
3/1-replaced distributor cap, rotor, ignition coil, and spark plug wires
3/9-replaced spark plugs, advanced timing, installed passenger side step (pulled from '95 in PnP, minus the fiberglass overlay), and removed crappy driver side step
3/10-tail gate striker bushings, & aligned the TG & top for better rear window operation
4/26-rear and side emblems glued on, dome light fixed (works with driver side only)
4/27-replaced broken/hard vacuum lines with new rubber, new exhaust hanger welded on
5/5-started replacing front brakes: calipers, pads, rotors; also replacing passenger side bearings
5/6-passenger side bearings, races, and seal replaced
5/7-finished brakes & bled, plugged nail hole in tire, reassembled everything
5/8- Installed A-pillar grab handle for passenger, using rubber well nuts. It flexes way too much, I'll get some metal rivnuts and use those.
5/11-12- converted a/c compressor to on-board air, with tank mounted under back seat
5/14- replaced vacuum modulator and vacuum hose on tranny
5/15- fixed kickdown cable issue, shifts like new now!
5/19- Mile Marker manual locking hubs installed
5/25- Receiver hitch and winch installed
replaced starter and solenoid
6/15- adjusted the shifter, fixing the intermittent no-start issue
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 08:31:07 AM by oakback »

JustaFordGuy

• Gary Cook
  • Administrator
  • Bronco Guru
Re: My first Bronco, repair list
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 09:53:06 AM »
Sounds like you have a good plan.

Clean the power steering components and it will be easier to find out where it's leaking.
77 Bronco, 302, 4bbl, Hei, C4, PS, PB, BCB-A/C, 35" MTs, D44/Lock-Right Chromo axles, 9"/Grizzly locker, 2.5" sl, 1" bl, Bilstein shocks, 1 ton steering, JB-fab twin stick, D20,

2005 F250 CCSB Lariat FX4
2022 Jeep Rubicon 4Xe

oakback

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 10:00:43 AM »
Will do, thanks.

My past 2 projects were RX-7s. One had a manual rack, the other one I ripped out the PS and installed the manual rack from the 1st car.

No experience with PS repair, but I was reading about those PS-pump-powered winches. Super cool!

JustaFordGuy

• Gary Cook
  • Administrator
  • Bronco Guru
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 10:26:56 AM »
Yeah the Mile Marker winches are awesome. Super strong and don't run your battery dead during extended use. Area51 (Andy) on TORC has one on his GMC Jimmy.
77 Bronco, 302, 4bbl, Hei, C4, PS, PB, BCB-A/C, 35" MTs, D44/Lock-Right Chromo axles, 9"/Grizzly locker, 2.5" sl, 1" bl, Bilstein shocks, 1 ton steering, JB-fab twin stick, D20,

2022 Jeep Rubicon 4Xe

oakback

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 04:07:12 PM »
I've been making updates as I do things, in the first post.

Question, I need to replace my spark plugs, then I was going to advance my timing (according to this write-up). But I'm having a real hard time seeing the timing marks. I've been to 4 different auto parts stores, and they don't have those timing mark stickers. I tried nail polish, but it just ran everywhere, I couldn't get it to show off the marks.

What do most people do?

FloridaBronco

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 07:30:04 AM »
usually sanding them down works for me, are you trying to see them with the light going or just trying to eyeball them with motor not running?

JustaFordGuy

• Gary Cook
  • Administrator
  • Bronco Guru
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 09:03:25 AM »
X2, sand the balancer down, then you can mark it with a sharpie marker.

2022 Jeep Rubicon 4Xe

oakback

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 09:23:16 AM »
usually sanding them down works for me, are you trying to see them with the light going or just trying to eyeball them with motor not running?
With the light going. I'll sand them down and try again, thanks!

oakback

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 09:05:13 AM »
Pics of my latest mod:
(this was before I wired the pressure switch, testing for leaks)

Only spent about $25! I had to get the lubricator from HF, an air hose to cut up, and a couple small fittings. I cannibalized my low-quality Campbell Hausfeld compressor that recently stopped making pressure. I also had a "spare air" tank, and a bunch of random air fittings my dad gave me a while back.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 09:07:04 AM by oakback »

JustaFordGuy

• Gary Cook
  • Administrator
  • Bronco Guru
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 10:12:01 AM »
That's awesome, I always wanted to do an OA system on my 77.

2022 Jeep Rubicon 4Xe

lonesouth

• Bronco Guru
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 10:14:39 AM »

I've got a york for you.
1977 Bronco U15 ,351w,C4,PS,PB,1"BL,32s

oakback

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 11:14:41 AM »
Thanks! It really wasn't that difficult, since I used the stock a/c compressor, and didn't have to fab any brackets or anything (I don't have welder), and since I had most of the parts I needed. I probably spent more time figuring out which fittings to use and how to mount the tank, than I did actually assembling it.

oakback

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 08:50:30 AM »
I got stuck on Saturday. 3 wheels on the ground, one up spinning. I don't know why my auto locking hubs decided to stop working. When I replaced the front brakes, I cleaned the hubs up and dunked them in ATF like you're supposed to. The clutches in my rear diff are worn out too, I plan on fixing that soon. I was convinced I could get us out with digging, and jacking it up and stacking stuff under the tires (to get the axle off the bottom of this mud hole), but after 3 hours or so, we eventually got someone to show up and pull us out.

Anyways, I didn't want that to happen again, so I picked these up for O'Reilly's later that day:

I also got a used receiver hitch. It looks like I'd have to drill holes in the frame to mount it. Should I just have a shop weld it to the frame instead? Or would this be a bad idea?

JustaFordGuy

• Gary Cook
  • Administrator
  • Bronco Guru
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 09:02:36 AM »
I wouldn't weld it, just drill and use grade 8 bolts.

The manual hubs are a big improvement over the unreliable autos. On our last trail ride one of our members had his auto hubs fail and we had to install a set of manual hubs on a sand dune. ;D

2022 Jeep Rubicon 4Xe

FloridaBronco

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 09:18:46 AM »
yes man hubs are a must for off-road. however your story of 3 wheels on ground one in air spinning would most likely has nothing to do with auto hub not working. Unless one spinning was a rear and both front where on solid ground and not spinning at all. I got my 96 f150 like that in a pit. two opposite wheels (Front - rear) in air and no go. added a little ebrake to simulate traction to send some power to other side and at same time stuck log under wheel in air and jumped in bed while someone else drove it out.

Recent Posts

Our 23 Bronco is finally here!!! by JustaFordGuy
January 20, 2023, 03:00:09 PM

Carburetors by broncobob
May 07, 2022, 12:36:24 PM

Re: Wheels and Water event Marianna Florida by JustaFordGuy
February 06, 2020, 02:32:40 PM

Wheels and Water event Marianna Florida by kat
February 05, 2020, 05:42:45 PM

Re: Frame off Restoration by JustaFordGuy
November 25, 2019, 02:19:42 PM

Frame off Restoration by geofw78