Forum > General Discussion

Starting on my Dad's 66

(1/2) > >>

SkeeterNole:
My Dad's 66 truck cab will need new floor from the firewall to the tailgate, I'm looking at National Parts Depot & big bucks not counting welding time. Has anyone looked at using the fiberglass tubs made in Tn for over 4K? I m looking at time, costs and the end product & would appreciate some feedback. I already have my 76  & my son has his 68, so I m just trying to salvage the 66 in memory of my Dad. Thanks

JustaFordGuy:
The only fiberglass tub I would even consider would be the one made by http://broncodesign.com/ . They are really nice but pricey, I think they start at around $9k. If it was me I would just cut out the rusty floor and weld in a new one.

Post up some pictures of the 66 so we can get a better feel for how bad it is. Hopefully it's not as bad as you think and you can get that 66 back on the road.

SkeeterNole:
After shopping I agree. Also found new floor pans for half price & free shipping on ebay. I ll download some pix and share them. Thanks for the feedback.

SkeeterNole:
I ve got the body off the frame & plan to have both sand blasted, primed & painted. My concern is if I cut out all the rusted floor plan & rear bed area I m worried the body shell will become to limber & may warp & bend. I m thinking about welding some temp braces crosswise, then grind those spots clean to install new metal panels after being blasted & painted. Has anyone had a similiar problem & used a different solution?

lonesouth:
braces are a must.  most will do braces any time the body is removed, and absolutely when replacing that much of it.

also, measure dimensions several times, take pics, measure again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version