Forum > General Tech

Am I Hosed

(1/2) > >>

75JOE:
So I decide to take the 75' to Target to get a replacement string of icicle lights.  Stop at the Chevron to add air to one of the tires.  Re-start it and the starter would not disengage even when I turned the ignition off.

Before I can get the battery disconnected it stops.  Tried to restart and can tell starter is toast.

Quick call to AAA and delivery home (the guy from Grant's Towing was great), I pull the starter and confirm it is finished. 

My biggest concern is the three tweaked teeth on the flex plate.

Starter and solenoid were replaced about three months ago during re-build (Motorcraft starter).

Anyone have an idea as to the cause of this?  Is the flex plate bad enough to have to replace?

JustaFordGuy:
It was the solenoid that caused it. I've had them do the same to me several times. Most of these electrical parts are cheep Chinese junk. I've had them bad right out of the box. I would just get a new starter and solenoid and keep your fingers crossed on the flexplate. I've heard that the later style Ford solenoid is better and be sure you get the best quality one you can find. You should also change the starter to the later gear reduction type. They are much stronger and use a lot less battery power.

75JOE:
Thanks Gary.  Is there a local source on the starter or better to go through one of the vendors?

JustaFordGuy:
I got mine and Blair's from an Ebay store called DB Electrical. Here is the one I got, it's all new not rebuilt.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Ford-Mini-PMGR-Racing-Starter-302-351-Higher-Torque-/130682177932?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e6d43c98c

75JOE:
Thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version